Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The fears of a Chinese Manufacturer

Hello Everyone,

I am not at the point of looking for a manufacturer. Now originally my plan was to have my idea manufactured in america. Because i have the same fear a lot of people have - having your idea stolen and made somewhere else. It seemed like a legitimate fear for a long time until i really started researching it.
My first problem is i had particularly small pieces and all the local places around only dealt with larger injection molds and were unable to figure out how to make my product possible, even with the cad cam files. Then when i called places in other states the majority of them sounded very shady, telling me they couldn't give me a price until they saw what i had, even if i gave them a slight description. It started becoming very hard to find a manufacturer.
Luckily I had a friend who could recommend a chinese manufacturer he had used and others he knew had used and haven't had any "theft" issues. He also told me " you run that risk no matter who you go with". No manufacturer no matter where they are can guarantee it won't happen, they can sign an NDA but its still possible elements out of their control my happen i.e. angry employee takes it.

And that is kinda silly, since I read to successfully fund a kickstarter campaign I have to throw it out everywhere on social media and get people interested. And if its on social media, anyone can see it. So there goes my invention secrecy anyways!

So now i'm about to find out if this is really worth it. Since my idea is a bunch of painted plastic pieces i'm imagining that it will be able to be made quite cheap. I sent off images of the ring idea i had as well as a working prototype. And with US trying to get back into the manufacturing game, China needs its clients more than ever (or so i think) .My fingers are crossed and all i can do now is wait for the result.
It is scary but its worth it to pursue your dream!




Thanks Everyone 

Justin Greenough

No comments:

Post a Comment